Friday, August 28, 2009

How'd this dream come true?


Let's back track. You all know that I'm in Houston now, working for the Astros, but how did I get here? Some of you have heard the story, maybe more than once, but for those of you that haven't lets do a recap. 

I was leaving a game one night in Milledgeville, feeling a little gloom about whatever it was, when I saw I had a missed call from a 713 area code. When I checked my answering machine I couldn't believe my ears: "Hi Chelsea, this is Heather calling from the Houston Astros," I almost died. 

A phone interview, 4 hour plane ride and a taxi ride later I stood at the front door of Union Station, the business offices of Minute Maid Park. I got out on the windy sidewalk, straightened my suit jacket and picked up my portfolio. I was actually here. 

I walked into the marble lobby of Union Station, heels clacking on the floor, while I walked towards the receptionist lobby widely smiling. It was my phone-buddy, Heather, the person who started all of this. "Hey Chelsea, glad you could make it. Head over to the elevators, and go to the fourth floor. Chanda will come get you." I tried to act cool... I wasn't. 
Say hi to Clint! The HR intern... not Heather. 
As I reached the fourth floor and the doors slid open I was greeted by a friendly face and a voice I recognized. "Chelsea, I'm happy you're finally here! Walk with me," said Chanda, my Saint in all of my crazy planning throughout this process.
To cut a crazy story waaaay short, after four interviews, being told I wasn't selected, getting called to ask to apply for the fall internship, flying back out for two more interviews, I finally got a yes, and here I am. 

I left Philly on the 18th of August and started the four day trek cross country. My favorite parts were: surprising my teammates in Milledgeville for the shortest night ever, and meeting up with Jami in New Orleans. 
The storm we drove through. A "cracklin" we had to try from Louisiana (yup... you eat it).
Boudin, yup we ate that too. The sketch restaurant my mom saw on "Diners and Dives." Classy. 

Then, I moved in to my new place. I don't know who of you know how I found where I'm living, but I met a lady in a car wash in Milledgeville who set me up to live with her sister's husband, while the rest of the family lives for the summer in Los Angeles acting for Disney; crazy huh? Michael is super cool, we hang out every night and talk, it's all working out for the best. 

That's how it happened! Bam! I'm here in Houston, with the Astros... I can't believe it. I'm going to keep blogging, as a requirement (but of COURSE I want to!), all the things about being an intern. 

You ready for this ride? 'Cuz I'm on it. 

2 comments:

JAlexander said...

I found your blog by hitting the 'Next Blog' on the top of my page. It is so much fun! You never know where you will end up.

You work for the Astros!? How cool. I have not been brave enough to try a cracklin. ummm - eeew.

Chels said...

Haha, just by clickin' a button, huh? That's cool! I'm glad you like it :) Feel free to keep reading!

I do work for the Astros. It's been crazy, but if you do indeed keep reading you'll hear all about it for the next couple months.

Try a cracklin'. Just do it.