Monday, October 26, 2009

Indian names

I don't know exactly what the posts on this blog are supposed to be about (Astros or whatnot) but I'm going to write this one on something I recently decided. I went to the Western Days in Yorktown, Texas a few weekends ago with some of the interns and I saw a funny shirt. It read:
My Indian name is Runswithbeer. I laughed about it, but then, as usual, it got me thinking. How often do we give someone an Indian name?

If you take it out of the context of this shirt, this guy's "Indian name" is an activity he does... runs with beer. I thought about how, often, I say things like, "oh that's Kara, she works for the Astros too," or, "David, he's my best friend from 7th grade." These names aren't always the nicest descriptions, though. Sometimes their Indian names end up being negative like: "Randinotanicegirl" or "Kendon'treallylikehim."

So, how much easier would it be to just drop their Indian name, and let that person be who they are? Or, keep the reason you may not like this person to yourself, and let others decide on their own?

I feel like sometimes we let people decide for us what we think about someone. There are too many people that are quick to side with a friend, rather than gather their own opinion about someone. Maybe to someone I'm Chelseaplayedsoftball (the -ed kills me, of course) or Chelseathinksshescool. How do I know which one a fall into?

This summer working with the Force, I hated it when we were in a social setting and the girls referred to me as Chelseatheintern. I HATED that, because I felt like it took me apart from being their friend or one of them, to this girl that they just knew. Eventually, I was given the official, "you've gone from Chelseatheintern to Chelsea Wilson," and I almost sighed with relief.

There's often too much need for people to associate with something, for people to just stand out on their own. I just hope that Indian names can change, because I believe that people can change.

Try and think about someone you've given an Indian name to, that maybe doesn't fit that description anymore. Doesn't it seem silly to associate that person with the action, still? Learn to let it go. Change their name.

No comments: