Saturday, September 12, 2009

You can hear the crickets... literally.




Minute Maid Park has had some special visitors for this home stand, crickets!


It’s crazy how many crickets are in the park! They are attacking the press box, and in turn freaking out Steve, a Media Relations Coordinator. It’s really kind of funny.


The part that amazes me is how loud they are! There’s the “hearing crickets” idea that something is so quiet you can hear them, but in MMP there are so many you can hear them during the game! And it’s not because the crowd is quiet or not into the game, there are just that many of the little buggers. Crazy.


What are some of the other sites? Oh, Texas has plenty of them. I’ll give you a little visual tour, switch up the pace of this blog a little.


One of my favorite is the random Mount Rushmore-esque sight on 288 south towards where I live. You’re just cruzin’ down the highway and there they are: George Bush, John Hancock, Abraham Lincoln, Franklin D. Roosevelt and J.F. Kennedy. Just, ya know, hangin’ out in a corn field.




A few miles up the road there is a field of metal sculptures in different shapes. I’m not going to ruin the surprise on what these shapes are, I’m just going to get pictures of them. Suspense!


Last night gave me chills. It was September 11 and we honored the people who fight for our freedom; a task most of us would not take on ourselves. I wish I could figure out where the zoom is on my camera, but here are some of the shots.



I’m proud of my friends that I know are over there fighting, and I thank all of our troops for the courage they have. Thank you.


This morning was a sight and a frustration all in one. There was a Fiestas Patrias parade running “downtown” which really meant circling Minute Maid Park.



The streets were blocked off where I park. (I’ll let you gather how I felt about that.)


There were participants, spectators, music, costumes and tons of horses with cowboys and girls decked out in their finest. The streets were filled and it seemed like everyone was having a genuinely fun time.



Last stop on our visual tour, snap-shots of what I see, is one of the security guards that rides around MMP. (Hehe)



Hope you enjoyed this as much as I did!

Me and my boy FDR!

No comments: